Pages

Saturday 10 November 2012

oh my that was fun

It has been snowing now since Wednesday morning, fine dry powder that despite the time it's been snowing amounts to only a couple of inches. Today (Friday) is a run home day, so I did. It was interesting! We had discovered on the way to work that the sidewalks where they exist are treacherous - no body uses them unless they really have to, everyone walks on the road, where there is grip to be had. This does make for interesting times on these roads, women in tottery high heels, kids in trainers, and men and women in deels and steppe boots all sharing the road with the many 4x4's, most of which have not switched to snow tyres yet so don't exactly corner well.
My run took me across some waste ground, soon to be built on no doubt. The sun was low and the light was flat, maybe a function of the light mist of snow still falling, maybe the sun glasses weren't helping, either way it was almost impossible to pick out the undulations and each stride became something of a surprise, not knowing where or when my foot was going to touch down. I didn't fall but it was touch and go on a few occasions.
I made it through the waste ground, and back into the park where the light was so flat it was almost impossible to see anything at all. I only got to see when I was back doing the dance between road, and oncoming vehicles, and slippery sidewalk. I made it back into the apartment complex ok where an army of mainly women were frantically sweeping away the snow, to leave impossibly slippy wet or icy tiles.
no grip

grip but...

I guess they have to keep on top of it or it will just end up so deep it will never clear in the spring but for now at least the roads are the safest place to be.
We have some ice spikes and screws to put into the bottom of shoes coming (thanks Bob) but I'm not sure quite how much of an advantage they will be on the swept and polished sidewalks.


No comments:

Post a Comment