Pages

Thursday 22 November 2012

Fire! Fire! Oh...just starting the car.

So we have a whole load of cars that get rugged up for the night in the car park. You can pay $50 a month to park in the heated underground car park or you can rug up your car with specially made duvets, many of which are camouflage, though who they are hiding them from I have no idea.


For the life me I couldn't see how it helped, it's -25 or lower for most of the night, even putting a duvet over your car, no matter how well fitted, was not going to trap enough heat in a cooling metal box to keep it warm enough to start in the morning was it?

Apparently it is effective to a certain extent, that and going down before breakfast to light up and kick a small paraffin burner under the car, walk away eat breakfast and when you come back an hour later all is toasty warm and good to go, at least that is what I was told. Never seen anyone do it, never seen the remains of a burner left on the ground - I was skeptical.

I was walking home from work tonight and as I approached one of the many building site entrances there was a powerful smell of cheap coal, I looked for the ger smoke stack and for other sources and could see nothing - nothing except a big old digger with a tarp covering it's engine casing, and smoke - smoke escaping from between the engine casing the tarp and the cab. There were 3 men in attendance and my camera was not within reach, so I have no proof but I swear they had lit a fire under the thing and were waiting for the diesel to melt enough to get the thing going.

So maybe the paraffin burner idea is not such a silly idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment